At Placon, our vision is to produce consumer packaging that is used for its intended purpose, then collected, recycled and reused for the same purpose, truly closing the loop. Read about our process here or watch the video on how we fulfill our closed loop vision.
- Used plastic soda and water bottles as well as thermoform containers carrying the #1 symbol are recycled by consumers and collected by municipal curbside programs and deposit centers, diverting them from landfills.
- A Materials Recovery Facility or MRF, a plant that recovers and sorts recycled materials, delivers mixed bales of bottles and containers to our recycling facility.
- Bottles and thermoforms are cleansed and ground into flake for extrusion. Some of the flake will go through an extended process to become EcoStar FDA LNO food-grade safe flake for direct food contact.
- PET flakes are then extruded into rolls of recycled non-food and food-grade post-consumer PET sheet for thermoforming applications.
- Placon utilizes some of the EcoStar rollstock for thermoforming its own custom and 100% recyclable stock retail clamshell and plastic food containers and then sells the remainder for commercial use.